By-District City Council Election System
During these public hearings, members of the public are encouraged to provide input and comments on the draft maps currently posted on www.DrawRedlands.org/draft-maps.html.
Past Public Hearing Dates:
Past Community Forum Dates:
Check out the Draft Maps here.
To submit a Map, follow the instructions here.
Many communities have at-large elections; others have district-based elections. The City of Redlands is changing to a district-based system in accordance with the California Voting Rights Act of 2001 and growing concerns about challenges to at-large election systems throughout the State.
"District-based elections" are a method of electing members to the City Council in which each candidate must reside within a specified election district and is elected only by voters residing within that election district.
Frequently Asked Questions - http://www.drawredlands.org/faq.html
For more information or to provide comments, please visit http://www.drawredlands.org/home.html
In the News:
- Redlands to Review Election System over Summer
- Redlands to Seek Consultant to Review By-District Election System
- Latino Rights Group Accuses Redlands of Violating California Voting Rights Act
- Redlands Hires Consultant to Review Change to District-Based Election
- Redlands to Hold Special Meeting on District-Based Elections
- How Redlanders Elect their City Officials is Going to Change
- How you can help create election districts in Redlands
- Here's how Redlands' residents can get involved in election mapping
- Redlands weighs in on draft maps for new district-based elections
- Redlands City Council to select from 3 council district boundary map
- Redlands continues review of district elections maps new
- Redlands postpones consideration of district-based election ordinance new
- Redlands City Council to return to district boundary map discussion new